Thursday, October 29, 2009

Apple Cake

Since we won't make it back to the orchard this fall, I'm faced with the decision of what to do with our last few family picked apples. It wasn't tough to decide on apple cake. Now this recipe is not healthy (with the possible exception of the whole wheat unbleached four, but that is a staple in our house anyway). Over the years I have attempted to make it less fattening, substituting oil for apple sauce, using less sugar, but it's pointless. These adaptations work in many recipes, but not this one. I don't support any variation of this recipe. If you're going to make it, make it right. But if you choose to include this in your recipe repertoire, be warned that there's no going back. Sure you can throw the recipe in the garbage (I did this), but that will only leave you desperately searching for it one of these days. For me that meant calling my grandmother for it again. Since then I've kept it and accepted it as a necessary fall indulgence.

Apple Cake
2 c flour
2 c sugar
2-3 c apples, diced
2 eggs
1/2 t baking soda
1 t cinnamon
1 t nutmeg
3/4 c oil
nuts of your choice

Bake at 350 degrees in a square, glass pan for about an hour. Share with friends.

No comments: